We have long suspected there is a politics gene, but it doesn’t necessarily carry a marker for party affiliation.
Here’s a media-political family tree for the late Andy Rooney, best remembered for his crotchety commentary on “60 Minutes.”
As Rooney once remarked, “It’s hard to conceal the fact I am more of a Democrat than I am a Republican.”
His offspring obviously caught the media bug from their father. Daughter Emily was executive producer for Peter Jennings. Son Brian is a correspondent for CBS News.
Grandsons Justin and Ben Fishel have chosen different, often conflicting roles. Ben Fishel is communications director for Democratic Rep. Brad Sherman of California. Brother Justin is a reporter for Fox News.
Click here to sign up for the Muckety Newsletter
- Andy Rooney, king of kvetch - May 13, 2010
- ABC news anchors leverage political backgrounds - December 14, 2009
- Conservatives question debate moderator’s tie to Obama - October 11, 2012
- Muckety movers - Presidential grandsons on the campaign trail - May 11, 2010
- Rooney Mara and the amazing Mara-Rooney clan - February 20, 2012
- Family name may be an encumbrance in current political climate - October 31, 2010
- The legacy system is alive and well at Rolling Stone magazine - July 22, 2008
- Brian Mulroney’s U.S. business connections - April 21, 2011
- Muck tracker - OMB director and ABC reporter engaged - December 29, 2009
- One in 10 members of Congress has relatives who also served - August 31, 2009